TOTAL UK’S APPROACH TO CSR
As a responsible energy major, we realise the need to share the benefits of development in the communities we operate in. CSR is one of the main tools we use to bring this to life, helped by over 98,000 employees throughout the world who put CSR at the heart of their work, conducting operations according to the principles of:
- Protecting the safety and security of people and our facilities.
- Limiting our environmental footprint.
- Ensuring that our Code of Conduct is applied across our sphere of operations.
- Incorporating the challenges of sustainable development in the exercise of our activities.
- Increasing local operations by placing dialogue with stakeholders at the heart of our policy and contributing to the economic and social development of the regions where we operate, thereby creating shared value.
- Promoting equal opportunities and fostering diversity and a cultural mix among our personnel.
Quality and safety
Meeting and exceeding industry standards for quality, safety and protection of the environment are key responsibilities we take very seriously. We are fully compliant with the European regulations outlined by REACH and have achieved all the key ISO certifications for our industry.
That’s not all. Total UK works closely with all key industrial organisations and associations around the world to ensure our products meet the latest standards:
- SAE – The Society of Automobile Engineers in the United States
- ACEA – The European Automobile Manufacturers Association
- API – The American Petroleum Institute
- ILSAC – The International Lubricants Standardisation and Approval Committee
- JASO – The Japanese Automotive Standards Organisation
- Euro – European emission standards
Total encourages all our customers to dispose of our products through approved recyclers, and we continue to campaign for road safety to bring down the number of deaths caused by collision, making UK roads safer.
Innovation for the environment
At the Total Research & Technology Centre in Gonfreville, Technical Centre in Mumbai and Research Centre in Solaize, Total’s scientists and technicians lead the world in the design and development of products and technologies that reduce protect the environment.
Our focus is on the future; constantly anticipating the needs of our customers and improving industrial standards as new technologies are developed. We are continually investing in:
- Skilled scientific teams with disciplines including chemistry, mathematics and engineering.
- The latest testing tools.
- Sophisticated analytical facilities that allow analysis down to the molecular level.
- Support teams in computing, documentation, quality and safety.
We work closely with our customers and industry leaders with the aim of achieving outstanding products today, and better solutions for future generations.
Sustainability for the future
Global warming and pollution are real and present threats the world over. To combat them, we recognise the need to control emissions, pollution and the environment in general, which is why we are committed to:
- Reducing particulate emissions – Our Low SAPS technology has brought down levels of sulphated ash, phosphorus and sulphur across our product range. We are constantly extending drain intervals across our industrial and automotive ranges and with our new generation Total Quartz Ineo and Total Rubia lines, we have led the way in protecting engines and optimising post treatment systems.
- Greater fuel economy – For over 15 years, Total has been leading the way by offering industrial and consumer products that help reduce fuel consumption and emissions while ensuring the best protection for components, improving engine lifespans.
- Biodegradable oils, sustainable sources – Total is the only manufacturer to market lubricants with bio characteristics. Our innovations have resulted in the development of a range of biolubricants for engines, gearboxes, transmissions, hydraulic systems, chainsaws and speedboat engines. Made using sustainable resources and classed as biodegradable by regulators, in most cases these products have earned the European Ecolabel.